Have I Saved Enough?
Have I saved enough money for retirement?
- You can use AARP’s Retirement Calculator and a Financial Checklist to help review your finances and determine your options.
- The average cost for a home health aide is $45,800 per year.
- The average cost for community-based adult day-care centers is $16,900 per year.
- The average cost to live in a nursing facility is $87,600 per year.
Can I Age at Home?
Will my home be accessible as I age?
- Does my home have steps at the front door?
- Are there steps to get to the bedroom, kitchen, or bathroom?
- Does my home have easy to reach light switches?
- Does my home have grab bars in the bathroom or living room?
- Is my home free of any tripping hazards?
- The Department of Housing and Urban Development, Home Depot, and AARP have guides on what features your home should have to support aging.
- Watch Home Depot’s video on simplifying your home for the future
- Most falls are preventable.
These resources can ready you and your home to help prevent a fall:
- Mayo Clinic’s fall prevention tips
- National Council on Aging’s 6 steps to prevent a fall
- Right at Home’s fall prevention guide for your home
Do I Know My Health Care Options?
Am I aware of the health and aging services my community offers?
- Use the eldercare locator at 1-800-677-1116 to find help in your community.
- It’s a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging that connects consumers to services for older adults and families.
- Find aging resources in your area through the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging
- Find how livable your community is with AARP’s Livability Index
The Importance of Creating a Plan
We all need a plan to age; the time to start that planning is now. Be proactive in developing a plan for later years regarding your health needs, housing issues, retirement savings, and long-term care services and supports.
BPC’s Healthy Aging Begins at Home report underscores the critical need to better integrate America’s health care and housing systems. It provides recommendations that focus on four key areas:
- Making homes and communities age-friendly
- Integrating health care and supportive services with housing
- Expanding affordable housing options for seniors
- Promoting widespread adoption of health technologies to support successful aging