The Bipartisan Policy Center is a non-profit organization that combines the best ideas from both parties to promote health, security, and opportunity for all Americans. BPC drives principled and politically viable policy solutions through the power of rigorous analysis, painstaking negotiation, and aggressive advocacy.
As the only Washington, DC-based think tank that actively promotes bipartisanship, BPC works to address the key challenges facing the nation. Our policy solutions are the product of informed deliberations by former elected and appointed officials, business and labor leaders, and academics and advocates who represent both ends of the political spectrum. We are currently focused on health, energy, national and homeland security, the economy, housing, immigration, infrastructure, and governance.
Reporting to the Controller, the Staff Accountant will be responsible for administering all aspects of the weekly accounts payables functions and monthly credit card reconciliations, as well as assisting with financial reporting, month-end and year-end close.
- Review all invoices and check requests for accuracy and relevant authorization
- Assign appropriate accounting code, department and task
- Process check requests, wire transfers and ACH payments
- Maintain AP vendor files (address, W-9, etc.)
- Perform weekly scanning and filing of all payables transactions
- Prepare monthly analysis of AP accounts
- Prepare monthly analysis of AR accounts and create/send out relevant invoices
- Prepare all cash deposits and maintain the Deposits binder
- Update monthly Revenue History file
- Prepare all cash receipts, cash disbursements and other entries for month-end
- Verify the accuracy of consultants’ payments against contracts’ schedule
- Resolve invoice discrepancies as needed
- Reconcile corporate credit cards on a monthly basis and maintain activity spreadsheet
- Correspond with vendors/employees and respond to inquiries
- Assist with bi-weekly payroll
- Prepare 1099s and other year-end close activities
- Assist team with month-end, year-end closing and audit activities
- Assist Senior Staff and Controller on ad hoc basis
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting Required
- 1-3 years of relevant accounting experience
- Internship in non-profit organization is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding attention to details
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
- Experience with an accounting software is a plus
- Understanding of payroll and tax compliance preferred
BPC offers a highly competitive salary and provides generous benefits. Individuals interested in this position should send resume, cover letter and references to [email protected]. Please be sure to include the title of this job, Staff Accountant, in the subject line of your email.
BPC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.