The Bipartisan Policy Center is a non-profit organization that combines the best ideas from both parties to promote health, security, and opportunity for all Americans. BPC drives principled and politically viable policy solutions through the power of rigorous analysis, painstaking negotiation, and aggressive advocacy.
As the only Washington, DC-based think tank that actively promotes bipartisanship, BPC works to address the key challenges facing the nation. Our policy solutions are the product of informed deliberations by former elected and appointed officials, business and labor leaders, and academics and advocates who represent both ends of the political spectrum. We are currently focused on health, energy, national and homeland security, the economy, housing, immigration, infrastructure, and governance.
The Media Relations Director will play a leadership role in all aspects of BPC’s press and public relations efforts. The director will work with BPC leadership to develop and implement a media engagement strategy for the organization. The director will manage a four-person media relations team and report to the Vice President of Communications.
- Develop, implement, and manage a strategic, proactive public relations and media strategy for the organization.
- Manage BPC’s media presence, generate positive media coverage for the organization, its policy projects, senior staff and fellows.
- Manage media relations team and outside vendors.
- Respond to media inquiries from top-tier national media outlets.
- Cultivate strategic relationships and work closely with reporters, journalists, producers, and editors to ensure BPC has a prominent media presence around the country and is highly visible on key policy issues of importance to the organization.
- Develop and review media-related materials, including press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, media advisories, event invitations, and blogs. Secure placement of op-eds and letters to the editor.
- Work with BPC’s policy programs to craft messaging around project activities.
- Work with BPC’s digital media team to integrate digital strategies into media relations efforts.
- Work with BPC’s events team to create compelling content that attracts participation from and coverage by top-tier media outlets.
- Identify and secure new media partners for the organization.
- Work with BPC’s lobbying arm, BPC Action, to develop strong working relationships with Congressional and Administration communications staffs.
- BA, BS in journalism, communications, public relations or a related field
- 15-20 years of direct experience in media relations and communications. Economic policy, campaign and/or Hill communications experience a plus. Marketing experience a plus
- Management experience required
- Strong writing and verbal skills required
- An ability to work under tight deadlines and juggle multiple projects
- A demonstrated innovative and proactive approach to growing media coverage. Experience working with top-tier national media operations and news organizations
- Experience pitching broadcast, radio, print, and digital outlets. On-the-record experience required
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team and independently. Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure. Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Experience supporting and managing high level principals
- Occasional travel required. Must be available to respond to news media and staff after working hours.
BPC offers a highly competitive salary and provides generous benefits. Individuals interested in this position should send resume, cover letter, writing sample and references to [email protected]. Please be sure to include the title of this job, Media Relations Director, in the subject line of your email.
BPC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.