The Bipartisan Policy Center and Great Plains Institute hosted a workshop to discuss implementation options for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Final Clean Power Plan in the Midcontinent region.
The workshop featured a keynote address by Federal Energy Regulatory Commissioner Colette D. Honorable.
Other speakers included:
- Nancy Lange, Minnesota Public Utilities Commission
- Andy Kellen, WPPI Energy
- Scott Weaver, American Electric Power
- Pam Kiely, Environmental Defense Fund
- Sandra Byrd, Arkansas Electric Cooperative Corporation
- Ted Thomas, Arkansas Public Service Commission
- Kari Evans Bennett, Midcontinent Independent
- Paul Sotkiewicz, PJM Interconnection
- Jennifer Macedonia, Bipartisan Policy Center
- Vince Hellwig, Michigan Agency for Energy
- Roxanne Brown, United Steelworkers
- Nathaniel Baer, Iowa Environmental Council
- Derek Furstenwerth, Calpine Corporation
- Becky Keogh, Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality
- Doug Scott, Great Plains Institute
The EPA released its
final Clean Power Plan
on August 3, 2015, including national, technology-specific emission rate standards and state-specific emission goals. States now have to develop and submit implementation plans.
States and stakeholders in the region have been working to evaluate the policy options available to states for inclusion in state plans. In the Midcontinent region, state officials have been active in the Midcontinent States Environmental and Energy Regulators (MSEER) group, with support from experts at the Bipartisan Policy Center and Great Plains Institute. In addition, the
Midwestern Power Sector Collaborative
, convened by the Great Plains Institute, brings a subset of states and stakeholders together to explore and engage on these policy issues.
This workshop gathered states, stakeholders, and experts, including those participating in MSEER and the Power Sector Collaborative, to explore policy pathways for achieving compliance under the final Clean Power Plan as well as opportunities and challenges for multi-state collaboration.
View the full agenda
View speaker biographies