UPDATE: Read a blog post recapping the event here.
The Bipartisan Policy Center (BPC) in collaboration with the Kaiser Family Foundation and the University of Virginia’s Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy held a Policy Briefing
Health Insurance Exchange Development: Innovation in the States
State-based health insurance exchanges are a mechanism to buy private insurance beginning in 2014. Through panel discussions with state leaders and stakeholders, the briefing explored progress on the exchanges and identified next steps.
- Julie Barnes, Director of Health Policy, Bipartisan Policy Center
- Senator Robert F. Bennett, BPC Senior Fellow
- Governor Ted Strickland, State Co-Chair, BPC Health Project
- Ray Scheppach, Professor of Practice, Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy and Visiting Fellow, Miller Center for Public Affairs, UVA; Chair, BPC Health Project Insurance Market Reforms Initiative
- Paul Keckley, Executive Director, Deloitte Center for Health Solutions
State Insurance Exchange Development Leaders
- Cindi Jones, Director, Virginia Health Reform Initiative
- Josh Sharfstein, Maryland Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Jonathan Seib, Executive Policy Advisor Office of Governor Chris Gregoire (D-WA)
- Linda Sheppard, Director, Accident & Health Division and PPACA Project Manager, Kansas Insurance Department
Experts and Stakeholders
- Moderator: Larry Levitt, Kaiser Family Foundation Senior Vice President and Co-Executive Director of the Kaiser Initiative on Health Reform and Private Insurance
- Kristie L. Arslan, President and CEO, National Association for the Self-Employed
- Stephen Finan, Senior Director of Policy for the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network
- Kim Holland, Executive Director, State Affairs, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
- Patricia M. Lynch, Vice President, Government Relations, Kaiser Permanente
- Christina Nyquist, Vice President of Public Policy, Aetna Inc.
- JoAnn Volk, Research Professor, Health Policy Institute, Georgetown Public Policy Institute
- Senator Tom Daschle, Co-Chair, BPC Health Project
- Steve Larsen, Director, CMS Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight
- Cindy Mann, Deputy Administrator and Director, Center for Medicaid, CHIP and Survey and Certification
See the above attachment for speaker biographies.